When should you replace car tires and other accessories
Car tires are very important for the car, and thus needs to be in tip-top condition all the time. This doesn’t mean they have to be maintained well as they go through natural wear and tear as the car is used. It’s just that you need to know when you have to replace the car tires. This applies to not only your car tires, but other car parts and accessories too.
· Car tires should have a minimum tread depth of 3mm, and generally changed every 6 years. You can find out the tire’s production week and date of manufacture through its DOT-Number indicated on the tire’s outer edge. The number 4212 means the tire was manufactured in the 42nd week of the year 2011.
· Most cars today come with a first aid kit containing different dressing types with different expiry dates. However most kits have a lifespan of about 3-5 years after which they have to be discarded.
· The car’s timing belt has to be ideally changed between 60,000 and 80,000 km, which is usually mentioned in the car manual and varies between car models and manufacturers. Check with the manufacturer if there’s no mention in the car manual as faulty belts can lead to engine seizure with time. Moreover, the valves and piston gets affected to generate high repair expenses.
· It is better to change the engine oil every 12-18 months or every 10,000 km or as per manufacturer’s specifications. Old engine oil only reduces its viscosity wherein the lubricant value is lowered and leads to higher wear and tear with consequent serious engine damage.
· The puncture sealant has a shelf life of 3-8 years from the closed bottle’s manufacturing date. However the contents of opened bottles tend to expire much faster.
· While the car’s braking system should be maintained and checked every 10,000 km, its brake oil should be replaced every 3 years. However if you think the liquid in its container looks dark and thick, change it immediately to prevent any loss of braking power which hampers the car’s safety.
· Any fire extinguishers in the car should be changed every 2-3 years as expired extinguishers can leak in heated cabins. It may also lose its effectiveness and be of no use at extinguishing fires in a fire emergency.
Well maintained car accessories which are replaced at the right time improves the working and efficiency of your car. So make sure you keep checking all your car parts and have them replaced as required.